Get Your FSA ID First!
The Federal Student Aid (FSA) office of the US Department of Education is responsible for the FAFSA form and all of the government's grants and loans. Creating an account on the FSA website assigns you an FSA ID, which is REQUIRED in order to complete your FAFSA form. Completing that step ahead of attending a FAFSA Fest event will eliminate barriers to completing your FAFSA form. We strongly encourage both parents and students to get an FSA ID at least one week prior to attending a FAFSA Fest.
Creating an account on the FSA website is straightforward, but the step-by-step instructions below will help you through the process. We suggest that you write down your responses for your records.
- Click here to begin the account creation process by providing your personal information. Have your Social Security Number ready. Enter your name exactly as it appears on your Social Security card.
- Create a username and password:
• Your username must be 6–30 characters. Avoid using personal identifiers like your name or birthdate.
• Your password must be 8–30 characters and must contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number. Avoid personal identifiers.
• The email address you provide must be unique to each individual. You will not be able to use the same email address for student and parent. DO NOT use a high school email account.
- Provide your home address and your cellphone number:
• Providing your cellphone number is optional, but improves security.
- Set your communication preferences.
- Select four challenge questions and provide your answers. (These will be used in case you need to recover access to your account if you forget your username or password.)
- Verify your email address and mobile phone number:
• FSA will send an email with a code that must be entered to verify your email address.
• FSA will send a text message with a code used to verify your mobile phone number.
Your FSA ID is required in order to complete the FAFSA!